Thursday, May 14, 2009

1991

This morning, a local radio deejay read a letter to the 2009 graduates, who as she pointed out were born in 1991.

1991!!!!!

OMG. That makes me feel old. I was expecting her to say 1980-something. I remember 1991.

It was my freshman/sophomore year in high school. We lived in Oklahoma City on NW 60th Street, and I went to Putnam City High School. I got up early every day that fall to be at the school by 7 a.m. for marching band practice (Yes, I was in the band, played clarinet in case you were wondering and looked awesome in my orange and black polyester uniform), and I rode to school with Candy and her boyfriend Mike who had matching burgundy 1960-something Mustangs. I was infatuated with the drum major.

My best friends at the time were Keri and Jessica. Keri was in band also and her parents never let her do anything. Jessica was on the dance team. Jessica got her license that year, and her parents gave her the biggest and loudest blue pickup truck they could find. They insisted it would keep her safer than the cars that she would have preferred. I always heard her coming well before she arrived, and she usually took up a parking space and a half. But that monster truck got us around - typically to the mall or Sonic for lunch (we had open campus). We could not get enough cherry limeade.

The style at this high school was Z. Cavaricci's or Guess jeans, braided belts, Banana Republic tee-shirts, and Cole Haan leather loafers. I spent my summer trying to earn money to buy a pair of Cole Haan's because my parents were not into spending $100+ on one pair of shoes for a teenager.

My favorite music was Boys II Men and that boy band group from OKC whose name escapes me at the moment....

What was memorable for you about 1991?

3 comments:

  1. The summer of 91, I went on a week long trip to Washington DC (expenses paid), with hunders of other H.S. students, courtesy of my local E.M.C. A couple of the highlights were: Phantom of the Opera at the Kennedy Center... and the Smithsonian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously?? They were born in 1991?!??! Wasn't that just yesterday?? Really?? Yesterday....I swear....ummmmmm...I think I posted a picture of me from 1991 on my blog recently and it involved teased hair, denium, snakeskin and a professional wrestler...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the fall of 1991 I got my first CD-player. It was a portable one - and boy was I cool!

    ReplyDelete