Thursday, March 31, 2011

Getting What You Want

A CEO once told me I was the most tenacious person in his firm. However, having a two-year old has taught me that I have a lot to learn about tenacity.

- A two-year old is committed to what he wants.
- He will scream, cry, lay down on the floor, hit, bite - WHATEVER it takes to get what he wants.
- You may speak to him rationally about why he can't have or do what he wants. He probably won't be deterred.
- You may offer something other than what he wants but equally good or better. He may not be swayed.
- You may try to get him distracted by getting excited about something else. He may not be interested.
- Bribery, sweets, taking things away, time outs, threatening to give said bribe to another may or may not do the trick.
- He may counter with his own strategies. He may try to destract you. He may 'let' you think he is following your lead. But he won't stop until he gets what he wants. He is a force with which to be reckoned.

There is a single-mindedness in achieving the two-year old's objective. The will is strong. The techniques are effective.

1 comment:

  1. This is happening at our house, too. I waiver between being impressed and exasperated. (And I've NEVER been told that I was tenacious!) :)

    ReplyDelete