We are quickly learning that it is necessary to have a list of childcare – not just one or two names will do - so Justin’s co-worker recommended a lady that frequently helps his wife. She is a nice Mexican lady, and her name is Yuri. And… she speaks very little English.
So Yuri came this week for the first time to help with the baby and housework while I work. It was great – she kept herself busy without me having to give a lot of direction. She found things to do when the baby was sleeping (like re-folding every article of clothing in my bedroom).
We communicated very little. Although I did try. And Yuri mostly nodded or smiled or said “Ok”.
Then she came to me and pointed to the baby’s diaper. I immediately understood. I took her to the baby’s room and showed her where the diapers were. She set the baby on the changing table, opened the diaper and then exclaimed, “Oh!... they’re big!”
She was referring to the baby’s huevos grandes.
She hardly said anything to me all day other than "Ok" and those three little words.... And here I thought J’s “huevos-centric” nicknames and early observations by my father-in-law were exaggerations... I could not wait for J to get home so I could tell him.
Somehow I'm guessin' that J is a VERY proud deddy today. :)
ReplyDelete