About a year ago today, I headed over to Starbucks to start my morning. I ordered my usual chai tea and pulled up to the drive-thru window. As I handed over my card to pay, the associate informed me that the person in the car before me bought my beverage and wished me a "Merry Christmas." I looked up and they were already gone. I was speechless. I didn't even get to see or thank the person. Obviously, it was not a huge gesture - just a couple of dollars, but that someone was willing to spend their money on me - someone they didn't know - went a long way.
Not to be outdone.... AND because I wanted someone else to feel as good about the world as I did at that moment, I bought drinks for the next person in line. And then I did a couple more similar things... And I hoped the beneficiaries would catch the spirit and pass it on.
I was reminded of last year's experience this morning when listening to the radio, as a local radio stations has launched a "Pay It Forward" campaign. I just love this idea because rich, poor, or somewhere in between, I think the world would be a better place if more people experienced and participated in more giving.
So, this morning as I listened to the radio, I revisited my Christmas shopping list. Then I added a couple items for "Pay It Forward," and my mind drifted to think about who was missing from my list.
All of a sudden, I thought about the homeless guy that hangs out near various corners, businesses and establishments in our area. There are periods of time when I see him every day - walking down the road, sitting on the pavement, or occassionally holding a sign for food. I don't know really know anything about him, but I felt compelled to add this homeless man to our Christmas shopping list. We have certainly been blessed this year, and I would like to pay it forward to help someone else have a Merry Christmas.
What a beautiful sentiment. The giving really is the best part!
ReplyDeleteDitto!
ReplyDelete-JT
It is a great reminder
ReplyDelete